Text: Isaiah 54:5
According to that verse, your maker is your husband. If both husband and wife in the home both believe that their maker is their husband, they already have divine wisdom. God wants us to accept, admire and love him as our husband. If you can love God this way, it will be very easy to love your spouse to the core.
In the first series, “what’s in your gift box?”, I mentioned that marriage is like a wrapped gift and until you open it, you don’t know what’s inside.
Today, let’s look at some ways in which we can enjoy the gift of marriage which you have opened or will soon open. This is applicable to those who are married and plan to be married in the future. Here is what you need to know to enjoy your marriage:
- Know and believe that your maker, God, is your husband. Isaiah 54:5
- For your earthly spouse, lavish him/her with genuine love
- Always forgive yourself and each other
- Be patient and have long suffering, both are part of the fruits of the Spirit.
- Fellowship together. This is very important
- Communicate your ideas together and embrace those ideas.
- Learn from each other’s mistakes.
- Plan together, pray together and follow the direction of God. This is also very important. Proverbs 19:21
- Take care of the resources that God has given you, together. Such as, your talents/gifts, children, home, marriage, the family of Christ, etc.
- Admire each other; see God’s image and beauty in each other’s life.
I used the words “each other” and “together” many times because all these things involve the efforts of both you and your spouse. When you start listening to other people besides your spouse, then trouble will begin to creep in. Therefore, do not allow a third party into your marriage. Just the two of you can make it work. However, if you encounter a problem in your marriage that is beyond the two of you, keep in mind that pastors, matured Christian couples and professional marriage counselors are all welcome to advise, counsel and pray along with you.
Prayer: Father God, thank you because you’re our maker and our husband. You love us and you’re jealous over that love. Help us to love you more. Help us build our marriage so that it becomes successful. Help us build our home to your liking. Give us peace and joy in our homes and in our marriage in Jesus Mighty Name we have prayed. Amen