There are few reasons why God does not answer some prayers. He has also told us what to do to in those situations because he is a merciful God. Some of the few reasons are seen below:
- Disobedience: See Part 1 of this Words of Wisdom
- Training/Testing time: God might be taking you through a training and a trial of faith like Job (Job 1:6-22). Many of us know the story of Job – that he was a good and righteous man, but God gave Satan the permission to test him. Your case may be like that of Job’s and if you pass the trial, God will take you to a higher level. Passing the test will prepare you to be a useful vessel here on earth, in heaven and in the new earth. I know you would not want to miss out on that great glory God intends for you. Therefore, accept the situation, trust that God is in control and pray that he will give you the strength to pass the test.
- Sin: You may call yourself a born again Christian but if you are still living in sin, you are not. 1Peter 3:12 says, “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” John 9:31a, “Now we know that God does not hear sinners;”. Please, let us avoid evil and ungodly behavior so that our prayers will be answered.
- Praying amiss: Your situation might remain unchanged sometimes, not because God does not hear you but could be that you have been praying for the wrong things, or with a wrong attitude/intention. James 4:3, “You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.” It is important to note that if your prayer/request aligns with God’s plan for you rather than your own desires, those prayers will be answered in due time. I would like to suggest that you form a habit of saying, “Let your will be done” as you begin and/or end your prayers. This will express your trust in God and his plans for you.
- Doubt: Doubt can also delay and hinder our prayers. James 1:6-8, “But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubt is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is a double-minded and unstable in all they do.” Hebrew 11:6, “But without Faith, it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.”
Prayer: Father in heaven, I thank you for your unfailing power and love towards me. I ask for your mercy and forgiveness in all my wrongdoing. Lord, forgive my unbelief and help me to trust you more than ever before. Help me to pray for things that align with your plan and purpose for my life. Open my understanding so that I will know your will for my life. Remove every spirit of sin, doubt, and disobedience from me and increase my faith in you in Jesus name. Amen